joujou

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Transmission Gate

Hi everyone.
The transmission gate(fig1) is powered from 0-1.5V, the simulation results (fig2) are good. But, when I powered it between ± 1.5V (fig3), the low level is poorly transmit(Fig4). I ask if someone can explain these results.

Re: Transmission Gate

The substrate is connected to ground.

The NMOS transmits the '0' and the back-gate (body/substrate) is at 0V and thus won't pass -1.5V very well. There will also be parasitic diodes set up by these voltage levels. In general the substrate really should be tied to the lowest voltage supplied to the chip.

joujou

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Hi Old Nick,
But, in the schematic we have not acess to the substrat!!

joujou said:
Hi Old Nick,
But, in the schematic we have not acess to the substrat!!

use a different model of transitor, and you will!
You have it for the PMOS, and there is an NMOS with it too.

joujou

Hi Old Nick,
you want to say that there are other models of NMOS with a variable Substrate but in our thecno there doesn't exist.
Realy, this transmission gate(TG) is used in a switched capacity(SC) integrator which is powered betwen +-1.5V, do you think that this problem (of Substrate) can affects the functioning of the integrator?
"I will try it now"

I'm surprised that there isn't a model of NMOS with a body connection, try searching through a few different libraries.
If your substrate is tied to 0V and you're trying to pass 0V then it will be a problem. There may be way's round this in the sim.
When you layout NMOS devices you have the choice of connecting the source and body together or source to some-other voltage and the body to GND (this gives rise to the body effect).

Added after 4 minutes:

I've just realised I've been talking rubbish.
It's your PMOS that is passing the 0!

I'll have a bit of a think and get back to you.

Added after 5 minutes:

Looking at you're graph again, it does look like it is about a threshold voltage out. I'll just try and sim it myself and see if I can fathom what is going on.

Added after 21 minutes:

Here's the sim and the circuit I used, and it works.[/img]

IGNORE WHATI SAID ABOUT THE PMOS!

Symptom of sleep depravation

joujou

I'm sure that the problem comes from the NMOS and you are right: it comes from the substrate effects.
Because, when i simulate only the NMOS as a switch, I have the same problem

i think so. I've never fed a -ve voltage to a chip before, and I'm not sure how the models will treat parasitic diodes etc.. But the PMOS should passing the 0 (-1.5V), an NMOS won't pass a zero at all (it wil get to within a threshold of it (which is what you're seeing).
It may be that your PMOS is not turning on, I'm not sure why though, the substrate is connected to +1.5 and the gate is connected to -1.5V so it should be OK? try removing the NMOS and just passing -1.5 with the PMOS.

Just realised i wasn't talking rubbish the first time, I'm talking rubbish now, the NMOS transmits the 0.

I need a lie down, I was up too early this morning and to bed to late. My word!!!

joujou

Thank you a lot Old Nick,

I iunderstood that the solution is to connect the substrat of the NMOS to the VSS (-1.5V) but our techno not able to be powered between ±1.5. So, I will work with 0-3V

Bey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…