Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Evaluating new fT of techology, what is possible max GBWs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgk2004

Full Member level 5
Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

When selecting a technology for a upcoming proposed product, evaluation of the transition frequency, fT is important to see the speed limitations of the technology under test. My questions is, is there a "rule of thumb" when looking at achievable gain bandwidth product (GBW) of a future designed amplifier when considering fT? For example, when I used 90nm, the fT of a min L, 100n, 120mV overdrive transistor had an fT of 60GHz, I thus made the conclusion that fT/10 is easy to achieve for a GBW of an amplifier. My questions, is this a good "rule of thumb"? In my past designs I could always reach this goal before hitting the "power-GBW grave" What I mean by this, is you keep on increasing your current to increase your gm, but at the same time the parasitics keep on building up and thus there isn't an increase in your GBW anymore because Cc increases with parasitics..... GBW = gm/2piCc.... Therefore you keep on digging your grave :)

What is your idea of this fT ~~GBW relationship??

Jgk

... fT/10 is easy to achieve for a GBW of an amplifier.
What is your idea of this fT ~~GBW relationship??

John: yeah, I think it's quite a good estimation, at least for an amp with max. 2 stages.

Reactions: jgk2004

jgk2004

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back