Status
Not open for further replies.

arafatsagar

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have doing my research on quantum transport. Now, I have some confusions- my questions and my idea about those go like this-

1. what is the ground energy state of hydrogen molecule?
>> as long as i know, hydrogen molecule has a bonding state and an antibonding state. i think bonding state has lower energy than -13.6 eV (i mean may be -20,-30 or something) and antibonding state must have higher energy (like -8 or -6 ev). The bonding energy state is the ground state of H2. am i right?

2. if i shine light on H2, what will happen?
>> may be one of the electron will go to the next upper state. next upper state is the antibonding state. am i right?

3. if one electron goes upward absorbing light, will the bond sustain?
>> may be the bond will be broken. because the overall energy antibonding+bonding will be greater than the ground state of hydrogen atom. the bond will not be broken if there are multiple bonding orbitals having energy less than the atomic ground state. am i right?

4. is it possible to have multiple bonding orbitals having energy less than the atomic ground state of hydrogen?
>> no, because to make a molecule the overall energy must be less than the ground energy state of hydrogen atom. am i right?

5. what is the numerical values of energy states of H2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…