Not open for further replies.

vinodstanur

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have downloaded the required softwares from **broken link removed**
Then I opened the serial port successfully.. (USB to SERIAL converter, that is 100% working)
After that when I try to connect to loader, I am getting error...
I grounded the EA and PSEN and provided 5V to RST...
But, I am sure it is communicating with the serial port but still showing error as below:

Then I simply tried to connect by giving 0v at RST (I know it will not work, but just to know the response I did this)
Then the result is as below:

So, I think it is getting some required response in the first case but I couldn't understand why it couldn't connect to loader...

Last edited:

I didn't connected the DTR and I manually grounded EA , PSEN and provided 5V to RST..
while pressing reset and trying to connect to loader, I am getting the same result :

Code:
<0D><0A>
<0D>!

!Ô…C <05>DQ*<015>R9 &)<02> <0A>
II<014><05>BCJ0 T1LP*<015>MR<011>U(J<0A>
<02>ÊCÓ‚ êDQ*²Rªê9 &) ¨
•IIŠBCJ’0’ T1LP*šMR¨ÊU(ÕJÕ
R<0D><0A>
R<0D>!J0<02>O(2<019> P1<014><01A>-C0L:PL'P&2<019> 5F<014>2<0D>N<015>J<012><0D>!<02>Unable to establish communication with target.
Check connection to target system or consult help files.

From the data sheet of DS89C430, I came to know about the flash memory lock bits ..
from the data sheet:
Once a security level is selected and programmed, the setting of the lock bits remains. Only a mass erase can
erase these bits and allow reprogramming the security level to a less restricted protection.

Now I doubt the bits are locked or some thing like that might happened...Because it is already programmed MCU and I got it from a JUNK ...(but from a working hardware )

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

It looks like the autobaud feature is not able to detect the proper BAUD rate. What is the crystal frequency?

BigDog

The autobaud feature only supports a few baud rates for each crystal frequency.

For a 11.0592 MHz crystal set your baud rate to 57,600, 28,800 or 19,200. I would try 19,200 first and if successful move up to higher rates.

BigDog

Sir, this is a copy of your post in the thread:

But couldn't understand that...

when I click on "connect to loader" it is showing
<0D><0A>
<0D>H>

¡H>þR<0D><0A>
R<0D>!J0<02>O(2<019> P1<014><01A>-C0LL'P&2<019> 5F<014>2<0D>N<015>J<012><0D>!<02>Unable to establish communication with target.

So , can I use command "K" even if it shows "Unable to establish communication with target.
" while trying to connect to loader?
but any way,
what are all things displayed is not readable ...
:x

Have you changed the port setting to one of the BAUD rates I listed previously, 57,600, 28,800 or 19,200?

According to your screenshots in your first posting, you are running the port at 9600 BAUD which is incompatible with your crystal frequency and the autobaud feature of the bootloader.

BigDog

The autobaud feature only supports a few baud rates for each crystal frequency.

For a 11.0592 MHz crystal set your baud rate to 57,600, 28,800 or 19,200. I would try 19,200 first and if successful move up to higher rates.

BigDog

Yes Sir, I tried those baud rates... But still showing same result while clicking "connect to loader".

Yes I tried those bauds:
the result for 28800 is:
<0D><0A>
<0D>*

¡”*aTPTH>aTPªTH>þR<0D><0A>
R<0D>!J0<02>O(2<019> P1<014><01A>-C0LL'P&2<019> 5F<014>2<0D>N<015>J<012><0D>!<02>Unable to establish communication with target.

But when I tried a higher baud ie 115200, it is showing a different result:
<0D><0A>
x

€€xR<0D><0A>
xDid not receive R prompt
Unable to establish communication with target.

---------- Post added at 16:52 ---------- Previous post was at 16:49 ----------

Are you power cycling the device before attempting to connect with MTK?

BigDog
no, am not doing that.

Try using a terminal emulation program instead of the MTK application. Set the terminal emulator to one of the BAUD rates I have provided and then power cycle the MCU and then hit the carriage return.

It appears there is something wrong with your serial connection.

BigDog

---------- Post added at 16:58 ---------- Previous post was at 16:55 ----------

You need to POWER CYCLE the device with RST, EA and PSEN tied to the appropriate levels before attempting to use the MTK or terminal emulator.

BigDog

(USB to SERIAL converter, that is 100% working)
Check DTS, DSR, RTC and other signals. Usually, they are not present on this converters.
And try to use normal com port. All that signals have a very large response with port emulation. For example, FT232 have a 1ms response time for this signals.

can I use the terminal in tinipic bootoader?
also, what you mean by
then hit the carriage return.
?:shock:

---------- Post added at 17:04 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

Check DTS, DSR, RTC and other signals. Usually, they are not present on this converters.
And try to use normal com port. All that signals have a very large response with port emulation. For example, FT232 have a 1ms response time for this signals.
But I am not using those DTS, DSR and RTC..I am using only the Tx and Rx and that is working because I am using that to program pic via a bootloader.

But I am not using those DTS, DSR and RTC..I am using only the Tx and Rx and that is working because I am using that to program pic via a bootloader.
I see.
On your place, I could use an oscilloscope with memory or logic analyzer to see what exactly frequency your mcu using to answer. Or just try another crystal.

You need to POWER CYCLE the device with RST, EA and PSEN tied to the appropriate levels before attempting to use the MTK or terminal emulator.

BigDog

At present, what I did is, I soldered the EA and PSEN to ground.
Then there is a reset button in the board. So I press the reset button while attempting to connect to loader.

So, you mean I should turn off the entire MCU power supply and then turn it on again and then test it ?
or
Should I connect the PSEN and EA to +Vcc at first when the MCU is powered and then need to ground it ?
Because at present I don't have extra hardware to do it automatically with DTR of the serial converter...

Thanksssssss for this valuable reply:smile:
Now is working with the terminal in the TINY PIC BOOTLOADER software!!!!!!!

:-D

See the screenshoot:

It has been a while since I programmed a DS89C, however if I remember correctly you need to leave RST pulled high throughout the programming process, not just momentarily high. Tie the RST pin to Vcc and power cycle the device then attempt to connect using MTK or a terminal emulator.

The 11.0592 MHz crystal is fine and is one of the preferred values. By "carriage return," I was referring to the Return/Enter key, I guess I showing my age.

BigDog

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

I'm glad you got the bootloader to function properly.

Here are a few appnotes pertaining to the bootloader:

**broken link removed**

Now all you have to do is erase the entire device and you should be good to go.

BigDog

Thanksssssss for this valuable reply:smile:
Now is working with the terminal in the TINY PIC BOOTLOADER software!!!!!!!

:-D

See the screenshoot:
View attachment 62568

May I know after you connect to the loader, how to do load in your HEX file? Do you need to choose the Device you use?
Please help. I face the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…