Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

does infra red leds safe for human eye?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moustafa

Newbie level 5
Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dear all
i wanted to make ir vision camera so i wanted to know if ir leds are safe for human eye before i make the camera?
best regards
Moustafa

Hi,
Night vision technology is absolutely harmless, it doesn't emit radiation nor will it blind you if a bright light hits it while in use. Most likely it will damage the device. Night vision is no more dangerous or harmful than watching TV. Diode (LED) based IR Illuminators are also harmless. Laser based illuminators on the other hand, CAN be harmful to your eyes. If you have a laser based IR use it with caution. Laser based IRs seldom appear on the consumer market.
Thus it is true that night vision devices require little light to be present, it is possible to use them in complete darkness with help of IR Illuminator. Since most of the time you encounter complete darkness in enclosed environments, high magnification power is not a necessity, you'd rather be able to see at a very close range. In this case the most effective viewing device is a goggle. Most goggles have magnification power of 1, built-in IR Illuminator, close focus and a viewing range of a few hundred feet.
The viewing distance depends on the area, conditions and a size of your target. It varies anywhere from 300 to 1500 feet. Overcast conditions, fog, rain and snow will significantly reduce the effective viewing range. On the other hand your viewing range will increase dramatically under clear skies and/or full moon. Light reflective surfaces such as snow or sand will also increase the effective viewing range of your night vision device. Infrared illuminator (IR) may help, especially in enclosed environments.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back