Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does amyone know what component this is?

Viggo

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

Our sourcemeter Agilent B2912A has two channels but only one is functioning. The circuit board that controls the non-functional channel has clear burnt marks on the back side, see pic 1. On the front side following two components are placed, see pic 2. But what are these conponents? It writes AK E0E on the front face of the components, see pic 3 for a closer look.

Thanks for your help :)

Attachments

• B2912a_pic1.jpg
    B2912a_pic1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 46
  • B2912a_pic2.jpg
    B2912a_pic2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 51
  • B2912a_pic3.jpg
    B2912a_pic3.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 43
Your best bet is to get the service manual for the sourcemeter. SMD codes are very hard to trace and often the same code appears on many devices, even ones with the same packaging.

From the PCB layout I would guess they are either bipolar transistors or fixed voltage regulators, I'm leaning towards transistors.

Brian.

Thanks for the answer Brian. I also think that it is probably transistors that are burnt. Unfortunately, I am not able to find any documentation on Keysight / Agilent webpage regarding the inside of the B2912A. On the rear end of the instrument is writes "No customer servicable components inside".

The best match I can find is BCX53 -10 which is a PNP transistor.
"No customer servicable components inside" is just a "keep your fingers out" warning to stop people opening it up, ignore it.

Brian.

Could it be that A refers to anode, K to katode, E to emitter and 0 refers to ground ?
The only way to really know is to remove a similar component that is working and measure the IV characterstics.

All the best,
Viggo

I don't recall ever seeing the polarity marked on components except for stripes or some physical mark on the package. It is far more likely the A & K are the part code.

A component tester should identify what they are if you can remove or isolate one of the good ones and connect to it.

Brian.

Different revisions of B2912A have different circuits. Can you tell the complete PCB/PCA marking printed on the board? What's the instruments production date?

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back