Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do I really need 2 Xtal Oscillator when Using 2 PIC micro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aicrag80

Newbie level 2
Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am currently designing a project using 2 PIC micro (16F877), the 1st PIC is for Master and the 2nd one is for Slave. I have some doubts if I really need put 2 crystal oscillator for clocking to each PIC (Master and Slave). Or, 1 crystal oscillator would be enough to be used as common clock for master and slave PIC.

Thanks in advance and Best Regards!

:D

Re: Do I really need 2 Xtal Oscillator when Using 2 PIC micr

individual clocking is necessary

both shoul not be operated by same bcz it will cause load for pic and also oscillator

if the circuit can work in this way but also then i will not recommend using only 1 oscillator bcz circuit may burn or oscillator will be damaged

aicrag80

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

You can use only one crystal ..
Connect a crystal in typical configuration to one PIC, then connect a buffer gate to it's OSC2 (out) pin and feed the buffered clock signal to the second PIC to OSC1 pin ..see picture below ..

Regards,
IanP

aicrag80

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Thanks guys, actually I am still deciding which configuration I would follow considering the production cost and layout constraints. Anywayz, thanks for the info.

Best regards.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back