Do I need to make galvanic isolation in a USB interface?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericmar

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
usb galvanic isolation

Is it necessary to hv galvanic isolation in between of a USB interface and another device? If yes, then how can I achieve it? Does anyone has a galvanic isolation circuit?

Thx!

usb isolator

No, but some folks probably wish it did. I've heard stores of people plugging a digital camera into their computer and burning up something on the motherboard.

Are you referring to this device?
**broken link removed**
Medical devices have unusually strict safety requirements.

Here are some USB isolator products:
**broken link removed**

galvanic isolation

Hi, thx for reply!

I'm trying to make a USB adapter to replace one of the medical device designed n developed by my company but not this IOX thingy. I hv some experience with the FTDI FT232BM USB microcontroller so I'm trying to figure out the USB adapter circuit now n wonder which safety requirements i need to take note.

usb galvanic isolator

You probably need some part of IEC or EN 60601: Medical Device Safety Requirements.
There's also IEC 601 and UL 2601 version. Similar, kinda confusing.

Also, explore this site:
https://www.601help.com/

Somewhere I found "NBR IEC 601-1/1994" en español, but I can't read it.

galvanic usb

What is galvanic isolator??

galvanic isolator

In answer to the question :"What is galvanic isolation ?":

It is separating two electrical circuits so they are not in direct electrical contact.

This is so, large currents and or voltages are not transmitted between the two circuits.

So how do we transmit signals between two isolated circuits ?
We use an opto coupler.

What if we need to transfer power between the two circuits ?

We use a transformer (two coils where the energy is transmitted magnetically).
Or a capacitor (two plates where the energy is transmitted via a field).

In both these options, the DC power is first converted to AC, transmitted across and then smoothed (rectified) back into DC.
This way, any huge DC voltage or low speed voltage spike or fluctuation that occurs between the two circuits will not be transmitted or cause a current because they are only connected via a high-frequency (magnetic or capacitive) circuit.

TCTEC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…