Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference in Ethernet standards

FreshmanNewbie

Advanced Member level 1
Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have researched on the difference between 1000BASE-T and 1000BASE-TX.

My research findings:

1000Base-T and 1000Base-TX are both full duplex only. T uses all four pairs bidirectionally, while TX uses two pairs to transmit and two pairs to receive.

100Base-TX can be full or half duplex. It uses one pair for transmission and one pair for reception.

I also wanted to find what does T and TX mean?
From my research, I saw that T stands for Twisted pair. However, I couldn't find what does TX imply?

1. Can someone tell me what does X in TX stand for?
2. I also found that there's a new standard like 1000BASE-KX. Can someone tell me what does KX imply, too? I found it is something to do with backplane products. Any insights on this will be really helpful for me.

Hi,

is it really so hard to use Wikipedia? or doing an internet search?

I searched the internet for "ethernet naming" ... and found the documents within seconds.

And even within a document you can (or better say: I can) do a search of "KX" or "TX" ...

Klaus

In case you are asking about LAN wiring, e.g. connecting devices avaible on the market, only 1000BASE-T is relevant. -TX is obsolete and -KX isn't used for LAN.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: