Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dielectric loss in standard CMOS process

vlsi_design2

Member level 1
Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
1) I checked the metal stack of a few commercial CMOS node. The loss tangent of the dielectric is not defined. Is it because the dielectric losses are minimal compared to substrate and conductor losses in typical CMOS process?
2) Further, if the node provides an option of high res substrate layer below inductors, how do I include its effect in EM sim? Do I need to update the resistivity of substrate in the metal stack file?
Thanks!!

1)Yes.
Io^2*RdsOn*f (dynamic) is far greater than Vdd^2/Rleak *n (#FETs) static Pd loss unless f=0

2) I recall C depends on the conductor area/gap ratio times Dk times a constant.

So on Saturn PCB tools for PCBks you can enter the dimensions for h, w, l and Dk and compute C
As I recall a 10 thou trace over std thickness is about 3 " per pF then E field strength is Vdd/length in V/m as a point source then 1/r^2 rules apply for far field and linear loss for crosstalk parallel to the trace (near field). Ground perimeter may eliminate coupling crosstalk but raise C.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back