Diagnose Bad Component In PCI Audio Card

kraka

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have not electronics background but after two technicians refuse to repair my Audio Card, (maybe they did not have time, or they underestimate my card, althouth it is an excellent one), i decided to try, at least, fix it.
My Audio Card (PCI type) stopped having sound. After a closer inspection with a known technique (because i do not own a thermocamera) i saw that after injected 5 or more volts to pin no57 of side A of the Card, which has a label : AD(02) and a description : "I/O signal (May be driven by initiator or target, depending on operation)", and maybe means Address or Data bus ?, two components that are located very close to each other,
1)the ALTERA EPM 7064S1C44-10 BFB249919 EMU98 9946 and
2) : the P98AB VT244 , are getting hot very quickly.
They are getting hot even if the Card snap onto the motherboard, and Windows boots up.
P98AB VT244 is a component with 10 legs on the right and 10 on the left side. I do not know what is this, but i read somewhere that it is a Line Driver (what is this ?) or Amplifier. I search on web for a replacement but find nothing except this : 74LVT244 and SN54LVT244. I do not know at all, if i can replace P98AB VT244 with 74LVT244 or SN54LVT244.
The bad think is that i learned that the ALTERA is a programmable IC, and that i cannot just replace it with a new one. I must first program it with the "program" that is now inside the ALTERA on my Card, but i do not have this "program" (even if i had it, i do not know how to do it).
So my hope is the initial component that cause heat rising on the ALTERA to be the P98AB VT244. So if i replace it (the P98AB VT244) with a new one, both stop warming up and problem will be fixed.

But how to know which of those two is broken ? How to diagnose ?

I am attaching a picture of my card (Side B). I have drawn two red arrows, one bigger than the other. The big one points to the ALTERA EPM 7064S1C44-10 BFB249919 EMU98 9946 and the small one to the P98AB VT244.

Any other suggestion or idea, on how to try to make it have sound, are welcome.
Card is detected by Windows in "device manager", but cannot install any driver. I tried tones of drivers and all the OS's, from its native Win95-98 to Win7.
Before the problem occurred, it was installed in my WinXP PC with no problem. I am not sure 100% but maybe problem related with a faulty PSU that i have bougth at this time (have replaced later).

Attachments

• SideB3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20

Hi,

I guess the most important information would be: Audio card manufacturer and exact type.

Klaus
Audio card manufacturer :
As you can see in the attached photo in my first post, It is placed with big letters on the top of the Card, and it is EMU.

Exact type : APS (Audio Production Studio).

If you are under 40, probably you have never heard of this card.

Some of us are nearer twice that age!

The '244' is almost certainly an interface to the black socket beside it so a 74LVT244 should work as an equivalent. That device is written at one side and read on the other, the input side has no capability to read anything back so if you are not using the black connector you can probably remove the IC to eliminate the problem with no adverse effects.

The Altera device is a programable logic device (PLD), your only option would be to buy one from the card manufacturer and the chances of them carrying spares, even when in production, is very slim. Usually cards like that are sent out to sub-contracted assembly plants and the named manufacturer never sees any individual parts. It is normal for them to run warm.

Brian.

after injected 5 or more volts to pin no57 of side A of the Card
The card is 3.3/5V PCI and can accept up to 5V bus line voltage (not more!), but only if 5V power supply is applied simultaneously. Thus I wonder if the card has been damaged by your test.

Initially it could have been a problem of missing/incorrect driver (working under WinXP, failling on a new PC).

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…