Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Detect Short from 12V DC System to Mains Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

simoon

Newbie level 3
Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good Afternoon

I have low voltage system where 12VDC and RS485 type data is passed down a two core cable (0V) and (12V+DATA) around a building. These two cables are powered from an isolated source and I need both cables to 'float' with resepect to Mains electrical earth. What I am looking for is a cunning circuit which will detect if either of these two cables are inadvertantly shorted to mains electrical earth. Is there a standard type circuit for this type of requirement ? the only way I can think of doing it would be to create a circuit between one of my conductors and the Electrical Earth but this would be doing precisely what I am trying to avoid !!

Total isolation and in the same time dc leakage detection is not possible ..

Unfortunatelly, you need a common reference to monitor any leakages or shortcircuits ..

One method is to introduce a dc offset (say 10Vdc - now your 0V is 10V and 12V becomes 22V) through a high-ohm resistor (something like 10MΩ) and monitor the voltage accross this resistor ..
Any leakage current, even very small, will cause the offset voltage to drop ..

Regards,
IanP

Thanks Paul

Excuse me for being a bit dim..any chance you could knock up a quick schematic of what you are suggesting. !!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back