Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Desperately Need Help with Mentor Graphics Project for Final Semester

danaoxm

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey everyone,

I'm currently in my last semester, and my project involves designing a circuit using Mentor Graphics. I've been struggling with it for a while now, trying everything I can think of, but I feel like I'm just going in circles and not making any progress.

I'm feeling pretty lost and could really use some help and guidance to get back on track and complete my project. Any advice, tips, or resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

'Design a bit zero detector that takes in a 16 bit input and determine if the amount of bits 0 is more than 7 for one output, more than 11 for another output. Such bit detector circuits are commonly used in non volatile memory for control of charge pumps enable for non volatile bit programming. Tools covered Pyxis, Eldo, Calibre.'

Left-shift 16 times. When a zero emerges, have a counter increment.

Exit the loop if your counter reaches 12 and you can take the second choice.

Otherwise you might as well finish the loop, then see if the counter reads 8 9 10 or 11, in which case follow the first choice.

Mentor Graphics is a company, not a tool. Mentor Graphics makes many, many tools for electronic design; which ine are you talking about?

Left-shift 16 times. When a zero emerges, have a counter increment.

Exit the loop if your counter reaches 12 and you can take the second choice.

Otherwise you might as well finish the loop, then see if the counter reads 8 9 10 or 11, in which case follow the first choice.
Thank you for the suggestion!

Could you please provide more details on what components or gates would be simple for me to use in this design?

For example, can I use D flip-flops for this design, and how would they fit into the left-shift and counting mechanism?

What would you recommend for the counter? Would an adder be suitable, or is there a better alternative for this specific application?

I’d really appreciate your help with this. Is there any way I can directly contact you for further guidance? It would mean a lot as I’m quite stuck on this project.

Thank you!

Siemens bought MG

These are powerful Siemens tools but steep learning curve. Pyxis, Eldo, Calibre. I think very useful to learn.

Which part is hard , getting the logic to work on paper? Follow Brad's Logic
Entering the schematic? Running the simulator? Watch all the video's , read the manuals

Thank you for the suggestion!

Could you please provide more details on what components or gates would be simple for me to use in this design?

For example, can I use D flip-flops for this design, and how would they fit into the left-shift and counting mechanism?

What would you recommend for the counter? Would an adder be suitable, or is there a better alternative for this specific application?
16-bit input suggests your project is built around a computer register working with 16-bit variables. I'm sorry if I misunderstood. LSL and LSR are commands saying logical shift left or right. Easy to use in machine language.

However to built it in hardware then D ff's as you state are suitable. 16 of them making a shift register. To count, there are 4-bit counter IC's. You'd have three of those. A trick is to preload a value and decrement til you detect zero. 16 or 12 or 8. Another trick is to decrement by whatever bit emerges from the shift register. That means you'd act on 1's rather than 0's.
--- Updated ---

Edaboard is a public forum intended for public discussion so that all readers can contribute, and any readers can benefit.

Last edited:
It could be an FPGA or a PIC. Learn the blocks for each function and your tools to use them. Figure out each function. We don't want to do your homework.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back