Desktop PC power supply issue

Meryam

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
My PC doesn't work, so I tested the power supply. When I connected the green to the black wire, the fan worked for only a second, then it stopped. When I googled this issue, I found that it indicates a problem in the secondary part of the power supply. I have checked this part, and there is no visible damage to any component. I need an experienced person to advise me on what to do.
You can find attached the detailed images.

Cordially

PC PSU's needed a jumper and really old ones needed a 10% rated load on 5V before they would start and just kick the fan for split second like yours. However I don't know why your PC failed. It could be something was added or got jarred and loose connections or a hundred other things.

No pics seen. Did you keep the wires connected? Fuse gone? Any bulging 'lytics? Power rails good? Any sign of burning?
Now, I think that a resistor is damaged. When I measure it, I get a reading of 0, and there is a continuity sound on the multimeter. It is in the picture below; if you can confirm my doubt. Although I have noticed that its labeled value is 1 ohm, I am confused about whether I can replace it with a 2-ohm resistor, or if it is important to replace it with the same value.

Attachments

• 20240111_162754.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 82

It's a 1 ohm resistor - probably a fusible type - if it reads short it's likely OK

there is far too little information here to help you

make and model of psu ? better pictures, often PC psu's need a min load or a wire to gnd to start,

With Power On jumper enabled, and the fan start/stops momentarily,is often a condition of over-voltage protection due to lack of preload on 5V, or over-current protection due to some problem like the GPU card.

I really appreciate your interactions; you helped me resolve the problem. In fact, the resistance is not damaged; the continuity sound is due to its low values. When I tested the power supply in another PC, it worked well. Even though I don't yet understand why the fan only turns for 1 second, the problem is simply resolved by changing the 3V battery. My issue is that initially, I went down the wrong path. I am grateful and happy that my PC works again.

Attachments

• 20240111_162754.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 87
useless BIOS if you got no warning. Normally , the RTC / BIOS Battery is not a Stop failure
Excuse me, sir. What exactly does 'useless BIOS' mean? Does it imply that I need to configure the BIOS? I'm curious whether this troubleshooting is likely to happen again, or if I can consider the issue resolved.
Cordially