Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

designing band stop filter..

Status
Not open for further replies.

kr.sandeep

Newbie level 1
Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi guys .. i am a newbie here. i am designing a band stop filter fr my academic project.i will have to build a hardware prototype on ATMEGA 32 micrcontroller. i am going to design it using MATLAB fdatool and FIR least square to find coefficients. after that i will use filter coefficients to write a C code to be burned in microcntroller. i am also using proteus 7.7 for simulation of hardware.

so.. i want this stop band filter to filter out 50Hz mains humm noise from an audio signal.
s here are a few questions i would like to ask..

first of all will this ATMEGA32 microcontroller be able to provide enough computation resources to support this kind of audio application at all.. i mean the will inbuilt ADC be fast enough to do this..

how do i decide order of the filter, sampling frequency, F pass 1,Fstop1,Fstop 2,Fpass2 (well i guess Fstop1 and Fstop should be 49 and 51 for 50 Hz stop band if i am not wrong) in fdatool.

thanx for the help guys..

There a lot of tools out there for determining filter order-just search the net. I'm not really familiar with the Atmel processors, but I'm not sure this ATMEGA is up to the task; first, it's only an 8-bit processor-that will impact your audio quality. Filters require a lot of multiplication and that device only has one multiplier, so that's going to slow you down.

As a first-order evaluation, I'd calculate the required filter size, and then estimate out how long it will take to calculate each sample output. (It's just a bunch of multiply-and-adds). Maybe if 8-bit resolution is acceptable, and you don't require too much bandwidth and the processor doesn't have to do anything else but filter, it might work.

As a first-order evaluation, I'd calculate the required filter size, and then estimate out how long it will take to calculate each sample output.thanks for sharing the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.