Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design advice for boosting a 6 volt battery to 12 volts output

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelloCthulhu

Newbie level 5
Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm doing some experiments in my spare time to learn more about electronics and could use some advice for designing my first boost converter. I've designed voltage multipliers in the past, but without any success. I'm using a typical 6 volt battery for the power supply and would like to at least double the voltage. Please provide a test load in any working examples you might have available. Then I'll buy the parts and post my results. Much thanks!

Thanks for the quick response! I've seen this model before. Any experience with it? I've used online calculators and schematics in the past, but I've got such a poor understanding of the material I've stopped investing in them. I'm really interested in using a model someone in the forums has actually worked with. I actually bought a step-up voltage regulator module to boost my 6 volt battery to 12 volts output to power a small 12 volt 10 watt LED. When powered, the voltage across the LED drops to around 3.86 volts. Maybe you could take a look at the specs and tell me what I'm doing wrong. :S

You'll have to google step-up voltage regulator module audiowind. This is only my first post, so I can't include links in my response. It's the second search result; cgi.ebay.co.uk.

Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

In theses step-up converters the key component, besides the main switcher, is the choke (inductor), which has to be rated for decent current ..
12V/10W LED draws roughly 0.85A ..
Here is a link to a simple switcher based on the LM2577 ..
5V to 12 V Step-Up (Boost) Voltage Regulator with LM2577
Select a choke that is rated for 3A and can work with frequencies up to 100kHz ..

IanP
:wink:

Attachments

• lm2577-switching-regulator-schematic.gif
    lm2577-switching-regulator-schematic.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 127
I've used this design in the past and still have the parts. I'll rebuild it, take pics, and hopefully you guys can tell me what I've been doing wrong. Thanks for the support so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back