Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Debugging kernel, How ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raady Here

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

If I was given a crashed or hanged up kernel , I want to analyse what had happened ?

How to start debugging the kernel ? Is there any link related so that I can understand better or any one can send steps and procedure to debug a kernel.

Regards,
Raady.

you should get a memory dump...................the rest is art and skill and hard work

As first think, you should understand what crash your kernel. Is it a vanilla one? Are you writing a module?
Before tol debug a kernel isfundemental to know what is the issue.
Try dmesg and or syslog.
To debug kernel is very difficults and is impossible to be described as a linear sequence of steps.

Lollo

As first think, you should understand what crash your kernel. Is it a vanilla one? Are you writing a module?
Try dmesg and or syslog.
To debug kernel is very difficults and is impossible to be described as a linear sequence of steps.

Lollo

My teacher had given me a crashed kernel zimage and asked me to debug.
I want to know where to start it ?

I have seen some in searching it could be done using backtrace / ltrace/strace. But I couldn't find any documentation regarding that , using how and debug.
I want to know any links which has steps to follow.

Regards,
Raady.

What do you mean with 'crashed kernel zimage'... a core dump?
If you have yes ,you have a snapshot of the crash situation and you can debug it by gdb, too. I hope for you that the kernel has bee compiled with debug options enabled :)

Lollo

what are the step to follow to debug using gdb ?

Try dmesg and or syslog.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.