Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current to voltage converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

kam123

Newbie level 3
Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I want to build a current to voltage converter with op amp, which measure the intensity of sunlight during the day. I'm using a small solar cell taken out from a solar calculator. I've done some research on the web about solar cell and found that its current vary linearly with light intensity. I have LM324 op amp available, since it can be operated with single power supply (eliminating the -V problem)

Can any body suggest a schematic or explain to me how to do it.

thanx

47_1203333875.gif

Thanx

But what about the value of the resistor and capacitor?

the solar cell I'm using generate about 200 micro ampere during bright sunlight.

Also can u explain to me the use of the capacitor

This is so called trasnimpedance amplifier and if you intend to supply it of single voltage you should consider rail-to-rail (input and output) opamp ..
The LM324 may be not suitable for this application but if you have it - give it a try ..

Details on transimpedance amplifiers are here:
http://www.ecircuitcenter.com/Circuits/opitov/opitov.htm

Rgds,
IanP

Hello,

R would be intended Vo/Ie, e. g. 5V / 200 uA = 25 kohm, select 24 kohm.
C is necesarry to achieve stability with photodiode capacitance and isn't very critical could choose e.g. 1 up to 100 nF. Higher values can provide a low pass filter.

Regards,
Frank

P.S.: LM324 would be well fitted, cause input range includes negative supply, also output voltage goes near to V- and could be effectively zero with an additionally load resistor. Would be an issue, if you intend to measure down to zero with unusual high dynamic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back