Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] current SNR change after passing a ideal current mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyleeinhit

Member level 3
Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a question about SNR (signal-noise-ratio) change. If a current with SNR=x passes a noiseless current mirror. The current mirror scale factor is A (A can be larger or lower than 1). How's the current mirror output SNR? maintain the same or change by A. More specific question: what is the change factor of input noise?

I think the same question can be extended to a broad one: A input signal with SNR =x passes a gain A noiseless circuit. At the output, how's the noise change and how does the SNR change? Thanks.

By definition, the noise doesn't change when passing a noiseless amplifier. The SNR changes with A2 (because SNR is a power ratio, whereas A is a voltage ratio).

Example: A=10 : SNRnew/SNRold = 100 ≙ 10*log10(100) = 20*log10(10) = 20dB

Thanks for your reply. But I am still not clear. Why the noise does not change when passing a noiseless amplifier? By what definition?

Why the noise does not change when passing a noiseless amplifier? By what definition?

You are right: the incoming noise will be amplified by the same factor A , so the SNR won't be changed. SNR just won't be worsened, because the noiseless amplifier doesn't add any noise.

You are right: the incoming noise will be amplified by the same factor A , so the SNR won't be changed. SNR just won't be worsened, because the noiseless amplifier doesn't add any noise.

I agree with your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back