[SOLVED] Current reference, is it possible without using resistors and having a 5% tolerance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgk2004

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

Are there any possible architectures which can produce an accurate current reference without using a resistor? I have a set temperature and Supply since it is for an implement. I need a 15uA current with a +-5% tolerance. Unfortunately, all of my resistors in my technology have a +-15% so thus I can not use them.... Additionally, I can not do a resistor trim because I am pad limited in the design....

Does anyone have any ideas?

JGK

Do you know I have the same problem,
even during the corner analyses give a huge change on the resistor value that effect the current

I didint hear about a current reference circuit without a resistor, it will be interesting for me as well if i found one like this

Some foundries' e-trim can be accessed by serial inputs
with the programming ckty embedded (not pad-per-bit).
Maybe not yours, but you could ask.

Some technologies may support laser trimming if the
resistor is thin-film and the oxides don't mess you up
optically. There were also laser-interconnect schemes
purported to be fairly process-portable (creating
line-line bridging when zapped under bias) at one
time, but this seems to have not caught on.

I haven't seen a process that runs better than 5%
tolerance -on anything-, and I've worked with a
bunch.

Here is something which might be suitable. I don't know much else about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandgap_voltage_reference

"A bandgap voltage reference is a temperature independent voltage reference circuit widely used in integrated circuits, usually with an output voltage around 1.25 V, close to the theoretical 1.22 eV bandgap of silicon at 0 K."

still it use the resistor , he wants without resistors

- - - Updated - - -

it is right, 5% change is pretty good. you may not find better tolerance than this value

Are there any possible architectures which can produce an accurate current reference without using a resistor?
Does anyone have any ideas?

Hello John,

here's the earliest resistor-less CC source (from E.A. Vittoz) which I found:

I tried it in a .18µm process for a 5µA source, the temperature stability was excellent, and the spread over the comm. temp range and a single wafer was below 5%, AFAIR. MC simulations incl. full PVT ranges resulted in current changes <10% within 1σ .

Below is another paper on a rather complex resistor-free CC source - unfortunately I got only the first 2 pages from the article (A_Resistor-free_temp-comp_CMOS_current_reference_p1-2.pdf). I didn't try that one.

Finally one more on a very low current (9nA) resistor-less CC source from De Vita/Iannacone (~2006 , 0.35µm) :

erikl

Attachments

• A_Resistor-free_temp-comp_CMOS_current_reference_p1-2.pdf
    342.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Iannaccone_45nA-quiesc_9nA_44ppm_0,35um_current_reference.pdf
    349.2 KB · Views: 77
Hello all,

Thanks for the help! Its funny but I just build that Vittoz reference two nights ago Erikl, nice suggestion. It works great and looks like it meets the specs I need. I get 5% tolerance over a 200mV change is supply and that meets my requirements. Last night I also built the A_Resistor-free_temp-comp_CMOS_current_reference_p1-2.pdf. That one had around 10% tolerance over MC and thus I did not use. Of course it has a better temperature robustness since it has a PTAT and CTAT, but since my application is implements it only has to work at body temperature, thus 37C!

Thanks for the suggestions

Jgk

- - - Updated - - -

Hello all,

Thanks for the help! Its funny but I just build that Vittoz reference two nights ago Erikl, nice suggestion. It works great and looks like it meets the specs I need. I get 5% tolerance over a 200mV change is supply and that meets my requirements. Last night I also built the A_Resistor-free_temp-comp_CMOS_current_reference_p1-2.pdf. That one had around 10% tolerance over MC and thus I did not use. Of course it has a better temperature robustness since it has a PTAT and CTAT, but since my application is implements it only has to work at body temperature, thus 37C!

Thanks for the suggestions

Jgk

do you have an article for the circuit you used ?

thank you

do you have an article for the circuit you used ?

Ciao Junus,

the above shown slide I found in a copy of E. Vittoz' lecture during a
CCCD Workshop in Lund, Oct. 2-3, 2003
WEAK INVERSION IN ANALOG AND DIGITAL CIRCUITS, slide 15

I found the same circuit also in this book:
Alice Wang, Benton Highsmith Calhoun, Anantha P. Chandrakasan
Sub-threshold Design for Ultra Low-Power Systems
© 2006 Springer Science+Business Media, LLC, 233 Spring Street NY 10013
Chap. 8: Analog Circuits in Weak Inversion by Eric A. Vittoz
8.4 Exponential Characteristics
8.4.1 Voltage and Current Reference, p. 156

Saluti, erikl

Reactions: jgk2004

jgk2004

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…