Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cst ifa antenna feeding port help

Status
Not open for further replies.

aguijon

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

first of all i would like to confess that i am a newbie in rf design and i may ask very silly questions. please forgive me and i am waiting for your responses.

I am trying to design a pifa and/or ifa antenna (all of them are PCB microstrip antennae) in cst design environment. when i was investigating reference example designs on internet
i saw that the are using waveguide ports in order to feed antennae.
So, my first question is which feeding port is most suitable for this type of design.Discrete port or waveguide port. If discrete port is prefereble then how can i use it and how can i increase its accuracy whne simulating S parameters and far field directivity of the antenna.
If waveguide port is more suitable then i have some more questions. Becasue in the internet i saw that size of waveguide port should be as large as possible and there are some rule of thumbs to achieve this criterion. Also there is a macro in CST called calculate port extension coefficent and when i use this it generates a relatively huge waveuide port.
The problem in my case is in my ifa design shorting arm of the ifa is very close to arm from where i excite antenna via a waveguide port.So, waveguide port overlap this two arms unintentionally.
When i performed some simulations with different sizes of waveguide port, i noticed that S11 and farfield results are totaly different from each other and i cannot comment on the results. By using a relatively small waveguide port that does not overlap inductive shorting arm, can i get reasonable results or how can i assure myself?

One more step to ramify my question is that i am trying tofeed my antenna inside the board not the edge of the board since in the real usage i will generate rf signals from PA that is located nearly in the middle of the board.

Sorry for the long explanation of my problem but as i said before i am a newbie and i need some explanative help.

Waveguide Port is suitable to the antenna.You Will mostly not able to assign value of RLC component in your design according to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.