Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clock through fpga or not

neanton28

Newbie level 5
Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Greetings! Looking for best practices in fpga design. I have FPGA that gets data BT.656 from ADV7180 decoder - 8 bit parallel interface for data and LLC (clock for synchronization 27 MHz). Data it valid on rising edge. My FPGA stores this data to internal BSRAM, makes some modification to image and outputs it from BSRAM to BT.656 encoder ADV7391. Processing logic is sourced by separate clk multiplied by PLL.
Right now, incoming LLC from ADV7180 is used to trigger saving into BSRAM, and same time is output to ADV7391. My internal logic checks all the time what value LLC has now (low or high).

I am interested which of designs is better to use? Now LLC is connected to output in FPGA with branch to processing logic
Clock_through_FPGA.JPG

Or LLC should be separate wire on board and connect directly ADV7180 with ADV7391 with branch to FPGA:
clocl_above_fpga.JPG

Either way is valid. You just have to do a timing analysis.

The advantage of running the clock through the FPGA is that you can control the delay of the clock coming out (assuming your FPGA can do this). Or use a PLL. But routing it through the FPGA will add more delay than a trace.

But you have to do a timing analysis.

ADV7380 output is MIPI CSI-2 (serial high speed interface) and has is its own clock. Does the diagram suggest a separate clock line beside CSI-2 clock? In any case input data have to be synchronized to local clock or FPGA clock would be derived from CSI-2 clock.
Output data should be generated with consistent clock and data from FPGA, I don't see a point of clock feed through.

ADV7380 is some other chip. I use ADV7180 which outputs 8 bit parallel bus and clock
1723895843115.png

In FPGA I made framebuffer for two lines of video data using internal BSRAM. When one block finished writing first line in BSRAM and starts writing second line, other block in FPGA get's signal of line ready and starts to read for output first line. My aim is to do as small delay as possible, that's why I do not store whole frame, but only few lines.

Right now it all works fine as on first image, if output from framebuffer is sequential for data. Like FIFO - first in, first out (pixel_0, pixel_1, pixel_2...).

But when I start to do some image processing and output data from memory in different order, like (pixel_586, pixel_301, pixel_1, pixel_200...) I get some strange noise on output image.

When I type pixel_586, I mean one sequential group of 4 bytes (Cb586, Y586, Cr586, Y586+1) which make YCrCb 4:2:2 pair

My first thought was maybe it has to do something with design of clock passing through FPGA.

@neanton28
Is the PCB Schematics done and board manufactured?
If not, then ask the board design engineer to connect the clock using PCB trace.
Else route it through the FPGA.

@neanton28
Is the PCB Schematics done and board manufactured?
If not, then ask the board design engineer to connect the clock using PCB trace.
Else route it through the FPGA.
No, it's currently in design process, so was wondering what would be the better solution.

No, it's currently in design process, so was wondering what would be the better solution.
The answer is given at post #2 -- yes, that's basically it!

From the flexibility pov or playing around with the delays, I think it is better to route the clock through the FPGA:

The only ways to hold alignment that I know of, are to
co-route through, depend on matching and modeling,
or to phase-lock the "through" output(s) to the routed-
around signal at the final register. I'd always go for simpler
until the skew spec approached DLL/PLL jitter & offset.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: