Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Class AB reference design

Status
Not open for further replies.

k8mcb

Newbie level 2
Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This question may sound a bit elementry but better to ask when in doubt. I want to design a class AB linear PA operating SSB, CW, digital, etc in the HF bands. I would like to use NXP's BLF578 due mostly to the fact that I was able to procure a few samples at no cost, and their excellent efficiency.
My question is this: Is the provided(in NXP datasheet) test circuit suitable for this, without alteration, and assuming proper filtering after the PA circuit?

Getting this beast for free is good, when the price for each is about 400 bucks (initially was 600).
The ruggedness of this transistor is better compared to the counterparts from Freescale. The PCB recommended by NXP should be fine, I've seen once an working FM broadcast PA with this transistor using the recommended layout. I never seen an HF application with this transistor.
**broken link removed**
At this high output power level very important is to follow strictly their recommendations for PCB material, mounting, soldering, and quality of components, which sometimes are hard to get.
On the other hand, the gain of this power transistor is higher than usual PA's, which makes things more complicated in terms of self-oscillations which can damage the transistor.
Anyway, you mentioned that you got "few" of them...so you have some room for mistakes...

Reactions: k8mcb

k8mcb

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for the reply- Assuming I can get this thing constructed; I intend to be extremely conservative as far as expectations for output power - an yes, another hurdle is sourcing the EXACT components specified by the MRFR.
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.