Not open for further replies.

baby_1

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
i want to create a small SMPS as soon as possible.i rectifier my voltage and set up an EMI filter.my output voltage is now 315volt.now i want to have 15V/4A output.what ic should i choose? could you introduce me some of them?
Thanks

Hello and thanks tpetar
is another ic or circuit that have one mosfet switch transistor instead of push-poll structure?

For a 60W power output you may consider the FlyBack design.
The Flyback SMPS theory and some design calculations details here:
**broken link removed**

You may use:
1. standard UC 3842 In flyback mode with a mosfet rating of 800-900 volts
One example of SMPS here:
http://www.smps.us/12volt-powersupply.html

This can be modified to 15V by changing R15 to 12k, R14 = 2.4k, also need to change D6 (by a 16V zener diode)

2. the Power Integrations ‘TOPSwitch’ family are compact solutions, check the appnote for discrete SMPS described step by step.
**broken link removed**

3. the Viper from ST, you may find also The VIPer Switch Mode Power Supply Design Software

4. A very good free Switch Mode Power Supply Circuit Design Software /Transformer Calculation / Simulation Tool you may find here:

http://www.poweresim.com

Reactions: baby_1

baby_1

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Dear baby_1
Hi
It is pretty simple ! at first you should determine that what topology you are deciding to use ! and then you can find your desired controller .
Is isolation important for you ?
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Hello Goldsmith
i has been choose my SMPS controller ic(UC3842)

Thanks

@Goldsmith

As long as you have reopen this discussion, what’s in your opinion the best SMPS topology to obtain about 60W?

And by the way, a tipical SMPS have an key role in providing safety isolation between the input and output, so one important idea behind designing a switch mode power supply is to incorporate line isolation using a transformer.

Dear mister_rf
Hi my friend
How are you ?
For 60w , my suggestion is a simple flyback converter . but if isolation wasn't require , i would suggest a simple buck.
Best Regards
Goldsmith

If let me design a 15V/4A SMPS, I’ll consider to use quasi resonant PWM controller-NCP1207A/B.
Because the QR mode Fly-back converter has low EMI noise.

Reactions: baby_1

baby_1

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I don’t think the EMI is a main concern here. For a beginner project it’s important to have access to the components and a clear model to follow. The 3842 series are a very popular model, lots of info on the net, low cost and ready available on almost every electronic shop. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.