Choice.. You love to work with SMD Components or regular..

Do SMD COMPONENTS changes your life...

• No

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Not that much

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Easy to repair

• Or looking these just benifits for company's and manufacturers

• Easy and compact design

• Hard to repair

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Ripu Behl

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If you think smd components leave impact on your career and its may change the future. So please left ypur choice so we also let to know hows these things changed your life...

This survey is idiotic. What do you expect to learn from it? SMD components are the state of the art.

This survey is idiotic. What do you expect to learn from it? SMD components are the state of the art.
Maybe its nothing for you... But as manufacturers we need this idiotic things... So we manage more idiots to live more rather than burning and bursting living jealousy

My impression is that surface-mount emerged in order to miniaturize and to encourage a throw-away society. I'm not the only one who accumulated boxes of through-hole components and breadboards and perfboards. To revise a project is easier when unsoldering and soldering. Yet the hobby electronics experimenter is left behind as equipment gets too tiny to work on. And governments have a part by discouraging HAM radio use.

Utter nonsense. This reads like some paranoid conspiracy theory manifesto.
The evolution of SMD technology enabled the creation of products that would be impossible with through-hole parts. Implantatable pacemakers, tiny hearing aids, complex interplanetary instruments. There was no great conspiracy to force you to throw away your phone. That is a marketing ploy and it's just as easy to force that with through-hole parts.
And I would argue that it's easier to unsolder and replace an SMD resistor than a through-hole part. If you're a hobbyist, you are free to use 0805 components which are easily handled; no one is forcing you to use 0201's.

Hi,
how different views can be...

My personal opinion:
SMD is the natural consequence for cheaper assembling, smaller PCBs, betther HF performance. (During University I worked in an assembling company)

I also have a lot of THM parts in stock, but this is because they are leftovers of former productions. I´m fine to give them away for cheap. (in case someone is interested)

I never had a breadboard ... because it could not fit the expected performance and reliability. In the forum I often see people playing around with breadboard ... and having problems to make the circuits run reliably. (Especially when fast logic ICs are involved, fast OPAMPs, switch mode power supply applications ... and so on)

I´d say I´m quite experienced in soldering THM as well as single part SMD. But since decades I do my prototypes in SMD .. many years I simply used a aluminum plate (equipped with a thermometer) on a kitchen stove to solder the SMD PCBs. I even soldered BGAs on them with no problems.
Since a coupl of years my eyes went bad, thus I need to use a microscope for single part sodering.

I´m not the tinkerer who "tries" by replacing parts. I´m more the "engineer" who calculates beforehand ... and only rarely need to "adjust" afterwards by replacing parts.

Klaus

I grant full esteem toward our experts who've led professional careers in electronics. They stayed close to the industry. They stayed aware of the bigger picture in all its facets. We can't hold back progress. A great deal is gained in the transition to surface-mount, no argument. Congrats if you developed a pacemaker or hearing aid.

I notice that something's been lost too. Several stores within driving distance where I (or anybody) could purchase components: Heathkit, Lafayette, enormous selection at Radio Shack (associated with Allied Electronics)... discount mail-order houses galore... More radio clubs, more computer clubs. There was no hint of fake parts. And you could identify which component was which. And assemble a working board with them. We're hampered at the very time we hear so much about the grid being vulnerable to going down.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…