Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Changing flashing turn signal to constant ON.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jijalicious

Newbie level 2
Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

My goal is to take a turn signal output (Flashing 0 to 9 V DC) and when you hit the turn signal, instead of it flashing, I want it to remain ON at 9-12 V.

On my car, i am adding a chasing LED kit. It requires cosntat 9-12 V. I want it to operate when I hit the turn signal. But right now, my turn signal goes ON OFF ON OFF and so on, so its not making my LEDs chase, cause it cuts out too quickly.

I don't even know what terms I should be searching for or what parts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
~Jij

You could use the signal from the switch, instead of the lamp. That will give you a constant signal.

Otherwise, use a retriggerable monostable to produce the continuous signal you need.

Just by curiosity, what would happen if i put a large enough capacitor in between bulb and V?

If you do that, the capacitor will create such a high current spike when the signal is turned on, that it will either destroy the lamp driver (if it is a solid-state relay), or weld together the contacts of the relay (if the car uses a regular relay).
I would not try it. I would simply take the signal from the lamp and feed it to a high-impedance circuit, a retriggerable one-shot that would create a continuous signal out of these pulses. Then you do not run any risks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back