Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Change LCD color

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Vinci

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a MPC 2000 which is a drive music producers use to arrange tracks, on this device is a small screen which is illuminated....my question is can I change that color just by putting the color bulb I want somewhere in the screen
20200828_183241_HDR.jpg

If it is a monochrome LCD then theoretically yes. LCDs only block the backlight so whatever color it starts as can only be reduced to make the darker areas.

In practical terms it may not be so easy. There are three common methods used to create the back lighting:
1. LEDs at the side, facing into the glass,
2. LEDS in a box to disperse the light, mounted behind the glass,
3. Electroluminescent panels behind the glass.

I'm guessing from the angle your photograph is taken you probably don't have a side lit LCD because they tend to be slightly brighter on the right and left edges. That is unfortunate as they are easiest to change.

A backlight box might be possible to modify, depending on the kind of LEDs it uses. Some have packaged SMD LEDs that you can remove and replace with ones of a different color, some have the LED die directly mounted on a PCB and would be far harder to modify. The good news is the backlight box is usually easy to remove by sliding it out from under the glass to where it is easier to work on.

If the backlight is electroluminescent there is no way to change the color but you might be able to replace it with one with a different color. They are fairly easy to identify because they run on typically 150V so need a small circuit board to boost the voltage high enough. If there is a board with a small round transformer on it fitted to the back of the LCD module it would be a big hint it is electroluminescent.

Brian.

I don't know anything about this stuff lol but if you look at a MPC 2000 online maybe you can look at it and tell me what you think it is you'd probably know right away. But my hopes is I can make the screen more of a digital green like the old gameboy screens

I found this video of the unit disassembled
--- Updated ---

I was looking to change it to more of this color screen like the old gameboy or Casio watch screens
Screenshot_20200829-065802.png

Last edited:

Post #1 and #6 show different LCD displays, both have white backlight, the purple respectively blue color is the dark background color of the negative LCD display. It's determined by the liquid crystal dye and the polarizer film. You can at best change the backlight but not the LCD glass color.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back