Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cannot view CircuitMaker 2000 drill files in KiCAD

Pjdd

Advanced Member level 2
Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've been designing and making PCBs for well over 50 years and used CircuitMaker 2000 for about the last 25 years. It's still good enough for most of what I do but I thought it's high time to get familiar with a more modern software like KiCAD (I tried it out briefly several years ago).

I installed KiCAD again last night and tried to view Gerber files made with CM2000. It worked except for the drill file. It threw up the error message "Tool definition not supported".

While searching for a solution, I came across a thread in another forum where the OP reported a similar problem, saying that a PCB manufacturer rejected his CM2000 design because it had no drill file. One reply said that modern manufacturers need the Excellon RS274X format whereas CM2000 uses the RS274D version. The reply further said that the D version creates a separate aperture file while the X version embeds aperture sizes in the main file.

The CM2000 manual clearly says that it uses the RS274X format, not the D. Moreover, the drill file generator in CM2000 has the option of embedding or not embedding the apt data. Neither option works. I simply cannot load CM2000 drl files in KiCAD Gerber Viewer.

Can anyone please throw some light on the matter?

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back