Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can we use 11.0592MHz crystal while writing 12MHz in source code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

furqankaimkhani

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
once, I wrote crystal value Xtal=11.0592 in my source code. when i compiled in Proton compiler, it rejected the code saying that this value of crystal is not supported. Then i wrote 12 MHz, but i put 11.0592 crystal in the hardware.
It is working.
But i am worried that it might be unsafe for my PIC. Is it safe or unsafe?

Please any one tell me if they had any similar experience.

furqan

No it wouldn't harm your PIC. you can use both 11.0592Mhz and 12Mhz crystal oscillator.

thanks for replying. by the way, one of my teachers said that though it may not trouble in simple LED flashing. But it may create some enexpected timer deviations when used in serial communication.

your teacher is write. For serial communication in 89s52 you must have to use 11.0592Mhz crystal oscillator and for Pic18F 10Mhz. it is only necessary for serial communicaton.

11.0592Mhz is famous, because it gives Exact 9600 baud rate requirement for serial communication with 89S52. You can use any allowable frequency crystal. Please see your controller datasheet. There must be a range defined for crystal frequency.. You can use any one. but please make sure, to change your values which will be used to initiate the timer registers.

You can see the datasheet for Crystal frequency range. Any crystal would do the job which is in range. This affects only two things.
1. If you are running some accurate timer routine.
2. If you are handling some other chip then for changing the crystal you must check if it affects your timing diagram of other device such as LCD or ADC.

Status
Not open for further replies.