Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can this buck converter be replaced with this part

FreshmanNewbie

Advanced Member level 1
Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using this part for a project: https://www.microchip.com/en-us/product/mic28511

But now my purpose has changed. I only need to step down 16V to 5V with a maximum output load current of 2A. Can I replace the above part with MCP16361 (https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads...taSheets/MCP16361-Data-Sheet-DS20006481.pdf)?

I have a doubt because the MIC part has 24 pins but the new MCP part has only 8 pins. I have compared the specs and the MCP part can satisfy my output voltage and output current. But my doubt whether it can be a replaced for the MIC part?

I don't understand your question.
Can the new part step down 16V to 5V at 2A? Yes.
Can an 8 pin part sit on the same footprint as a 24 pin part? Of course not.

I don't understand your question.
Can the new part step down 16V to 5V at 2A? Yes.
Can an 8 pin part sit on the same footprint as a 24 pin part? Of course not.
My question is the new part is matching the old part with specs. Hence,I think it is ok to move to the new part. But how can the new part which is 8 pin, can do the exact same job that a 24 pin part does? Am I missing something?

I understand there might be certain features that are present in the old part that the new part does not have. But is there anything else I am missing?

But how can the new part which is 8 pin, can do the exact same job that a 24 pin part does? Am I missing something?
Yes: reading the data sheets.

They don’t do “the exact same job”. A 3-pin linear regulator would also convert 16V to 5V at 2A. Is it doing “the exact same job”?

You need to figure out what YOU NEED it to do, and pick your part accordingly.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back