Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can i use LED driver to drive laser

4tuty

Member level 3
Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have 2 LED, PWM driver board link. I need to drive Lazer diode 530 nm and 430 nm. can i use it to drive? if so do i have to change any setting

Hi,

electronic circuits are specified with numbers and units.
Especially: Voltage, current

Every good manufacturer provides datasheets with specifications, descriptions, design informations...

That´s where I get informations and my knowledge from.

Klaus

Laser diodes only work over a restricted range of currents, too little and they behave rather like ordinary LEDs, too much and they instantly burn out. The laser diodes you show only have two wires so the regulator circuit is built in to them but you still have to provide a constant voltage. More accurate lasers have at least three wires and the third is to allow the light output to be monitored so the control circuit can maintain constant brightness.

Trying to adjust the brightness with that PWM controller almost certainly wont work, it uses variable length pulses at full voltage (minimum is 6V) to give the appearance of dimming in an incandescent lamp. The LED needs a regulated 2.2V and may not like being pulsed at all.

What are you trying to achieve?

Brian.

Laser diodes only work over a restricted range of currents, too little and they behave rather like ordinary LEDs, too much and they instantly burn out. The laser diodes you show only have two wires so the regulator circuit is built in to them but you still have to provide a constant voltage. More accurate lasers have at least three wires and the third is to allow the light output to be monitored so the control circuit can maintain constant brightness.

Trying to adjust the brightness with that PWM controller almost certainly wont work, it uses variable length pulses at full voltage (minimum is 6V) to give the appearance of dimming in an incandescent lamp. The LED needs a regulated 2.2V and may not like being pulsed at all.

What are you trying to achieve?

Brian.
I just want to shine those two lasers for one second one after another controlled by ESP32 via TTL signal, a photodetector from other side to capture the transmitted light. can you suggest one circuit? what should i do I dont have any diode with 3 pin with photodiode inside to control it

How far away? more than 1 m?

No Ambient filters?

Blocking the cross lines too?

--- Updated ---

laser 1 and laser 2 can i use that LED driver to drive this laser ?.
A simple transistor inverting switch can drive these 20 mA or 40 mA will work.
Use the recommended supply voltage to Red and switch the black on the low side.

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: