Status
Not open for further replies.

bappa_banga

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to tune an AM/FM radio from a pc. i am going to use the usb port and have a microcontroller in my device. Can I digitally tune my AM/FM radio from software controll via the microcontroler without using a DAC ?
thanks
Bappa

short answer yes, anything is possible

long answer, its going to be a tough project

to avoid the DAC simply have your computer talk straight to your microcontroller via RS232 or USB whatever. to digitally tune a radio you must have access to component level. i'll assume you do.

in many ways it matters what type of radio (is it a digital radio receiver, is it AM/FM with superheterodyne topology etc.) and how much access you have to its internals. even better if you are building the radio yourself, cause then you can achieve frequency synthesis or put a digital PLL on board. the PLL is what locks on to the radio station. the PLL usually adjusts the frequency of the "Local Oscillator" which mixes with the radio signal to get to a frequency you can hear. thus you must have microcontroller control the PLL.

Mr.Cool

I am designing the radio myself . using AM/FM receiver ic TEA5711 from philips , but i am stuck with the tuner portion as I want to control it from the pc through the USB port , see the application diagram in the philips datasheet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…