Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CAN bus - What to do with the CAN-Ref signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

marko.severin

Newbie level 3
Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I must interface with a CAN device which "implements CAN Bus signals: CAN-L, CAN-H and CAN-Ref". My question is, what to do with the CAN-Ref signal? I've only interfaced CAN devices by connecting CAN-L, CAN-H and GND. Any ideas?

Marko

Hello,
I must interface with a CAN device which "implements CAN Bus signals: CAN-L, CAN-H and CAN-Ref". My question is, what to do with the CAN-Ref signal? I've only interfaced CAN devices by connecting CAN-L, CAN-H and GND. Any ideas?

Marko

CAN-Ref is almost the same as GND, I have seen this before and hooked CAN-Ref to GND without problems, could possibly be language translation on imported devices. However the intent from the manufacturer could possibly be the same as an isolated ground, check with the manufacturer. Otherwise, verify no voltage potential before hooking them together.

Status
Not open for further replies.