Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can a normal diode act like a zener?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uoficowboy

Full Member level 3
Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi - This is probably a dumb question... but can you use a normal silicon diode as an inaccurate zener diode? I mean, if you can, I suspect it won't be nearly as accurate as a zener, but for my application I don't care. Or when a normal silicone diode breaks down is there actual damage occurring to the part? Is it the same effect as is happening on a zener, or something different?

Thanks!

HI,
a reverse biased diode is at the break-down voltage similar as a zener, but not the same...
You can not have it at the specific (from you wished) voltages & these break-down charactaristic is a "lavina effect"_ not equivalent with a Zener stabiilizing, its practically unconrtrollable, and so very dangerous for the semiconductor. :-(
K.

uoficowboy

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The avalanche voltage would probably be higher than
you want, but yeah.

In lightly doped diodes you may see some charging effects,
walk-in /walk-out / softening of the low current breakdown
knee. Manufacturers are unlikely to rate, guarantee or
control this, and the breakdown voltage is liable to have a
one-sided limit.

Diodes above about 4-5V are really avalanche, not Zener,
mode.

uoficowboy

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
karesz said:
HI,
a reverse biased diode is at the break-down voltage similar as a zener, but not the same...
You can not have it at the specific (from you wished) voltages & these break-down charactaristic is a "lavina effect"_ not equivalent with a Zener stabiilizing, its practically unconrtrollable, and so very dangerous for the semiconductor. :-(
K.
By dangerous you mean that the diode might get damaged?

Thanks!

Added after 2 minutes:

dick_freebird said:
The avalanche voltage would probably be higher than
you want, but yeah.

In lightly doped diodes you may see some charging effects,
walk-in /walk-out / softening of the low current breakdown
knee. Manufacturers are unlikely to rate, guarantee or
control this, and the breakdown voltage is liable to have a
one-sided limit.

Diodes above about 4-5V are really avalanche, not Zener,
mode.
I was figuring I'd test a bunch of parts to find the correct voltage. This is a low volume project so if I have to test 100 parts to find one suitable one - that is fine.

I'm not sure what you mean by walk in/walk out/softening of the knee. Do you mean that the IV curve would change if you operated the diode in this mode for an extended period of time? Also, what do you mean a one sided limit? Just that the avalanche voltage would be at the breakdown voltage or higher?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.