Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calculation of Inductor

FreshmanNewbie

Advanced Member level 1
Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The requirement of a step down converter is
Input Voltage is 10-15V.
Required Output voltage is 5V and Maximum load current is 2.3A.

Could you advise on whether the inductor is appropriately rated? IHLP2020CZER2R2M01

1724926384225.png

Hi,

no link to a datasheet?

So you expect every single one of us has to do the datasheet search for you?
And read them for you?

And then maybe we look into a different versions of a datasheet ... with different informations.

Since you should already have the datasheets and links, wouldn't it be respectful (for our time spendig for you) to provide links?
Then we all can save our time, we all can talk about the same information, more people may reply, and may faster reply ... all just your benefit.

Klaus

You win the I’m-Too-Lazy-To-Think-For-Myself award. Maybe you could read the data sheet. Specifically the part about Inductor Selection.

Last edited:
This simplified buck converter is an example of waveforms you can expect which produce your specs, using your inductor. It's marked 5.8 A which implies it's a proper choice for saturation rating.

By experimentation I adjusted the system to a frequency of 300 kHz. Can your IC operate that fast? The IC is labeled 'boost' although dropping 12V to 5V would normally use a buck converter.
simplified buck conv 12V 300kHz to 5V 2A load.png

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: