Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calculating the drop in accuracy of a 3 wire PT100 RTD

rf-electo

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a 3 wire PT100 RTD that will be connected to a din mounted terminal.
From the terminals, we are using a quad core cable to transmit the measured signal to the signal processor.

I am thinking of linking the RTD wires at the terminal as shown in the attached image.
My question is, is there a way of calculating the loss of accuracy over the 300 quad core cable?

Capture.PNG

You didn't tell if the RTD converter is 2-, 3- or 4-wire type. The shown connection would be correct for 4-wire converter and eliminate error of 300 m cable, leaving a small effect of 5 m cable. 3-wire converter would only use 3 wires and eliminate cable error completely. Only 2-wire converter can't compensate cable resistance.

You didn't tell if the RTD converter is 2-, 3- or 4-wire type. The shown connection would be correct for 4-wire converter and eliminate error of 300 m cable, leaving a small effect of 5 m cable. 3-wire converter would only use 3 wires and eliminate cable error completely. Only 2-wire converter can't compensate cable resistance.
To give more detail, the RTD is a duplex 2x3 wire.
At the terminal local to the RTD, 3 wires will be terminated while the other 3 wires will be connected as I have shown in the sketch. .
So in teh sketch, left hand side is the 3 wire RTD and right hand side the the transmitting cable.
Hope this helps.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: