Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cadence Virtuoso: Plotting Inductance and Quality Factor Curves, and Transistor Adjustments for Inductor Replacement

Pichu_Chan

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey everyone, I'm stuck on a few tasks for my project using Cadence virtuoso. I tried searching for answers online but couldn't find any helpful information.
  1. How can I plot the inductance (L) curve and the quality factor (Q) curve for an inductor (using nport instance)? Any tips on extracting these from S-parameters?
  2. I have a circuit with a normal inductor, and I want to replace it with a different one. To do this, I need to adjust the characteristics of the transistors. What steps should I follow to make these adjustments correctly?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
1723906367556.png

1. If your NPORT is an inductor model from some vendor, you probably can get the inductance and Q-factor plots from the datasheet...
2. I think, more details required here. What kind of circuit you are working on? What do you mean by a "normal" inductor?

I recommend that you develop Calculator expressions for
inductor V(t) and dI(t)/dt, and then you can plot L as the
classic formula by plotting both of those and then changing
X axis to whatever basis-vector you chose (could be time,
either of those, something else in the circuit if plottable).

Normal or abnormal inductor, you can get terminal L from
terminal v(t), i(t) by results-math.

From two port SP simulations, L between the two ports can be derived as:

imag(-1/ypm('sp 1 2))/(2*3.14159*xval(spm('sp 1 2))

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back