Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bidirectional rf switch

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I want to have a rf bidirectional duplexer like in the figure below

800px-Bsp_Duplex-eng.svg.png

Can I use regular SPDT rf switch for this ? I want to use MikroElektronika RF Switch which includes MASWSS0115 IC. The datasheet of the MASWSS0115 is below.

Attachments

• A700000007461723.pdf
    668.1 KB · Views: 87
Thanks, I think my maximum tranmit power would be 16-20 dBm. As far as I understand maximum input power of this chip is more than that.
1721656894104.png

Attachments

• 1721656868137.png
    1721656868137.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 60
There's a huge number of SOI and III-V RF switches out there with a wide range of linearity @power, isolation and nuances (like, if this is a radar, switching speed is a limit to min distance (time of flight vs time to flip)). Many stacked-FET switches have slow gate networks.

You also need to know when you are TXing and RXing to protect the RX front end, OK if it's radar but not so much for random time of arrival comms.

The circulator is the approach for true bidirectional full duplex, switches front ends are for time-division multiplexing architecture.

There's a huge number of SOI and III-V RF switches out there with a wide range of linearity @power, isolation and nuances (like, if this is a radar, switching speed is a limit to min distance (time of flight vs time to flip)). Many stacked-FET switches have slow gate networks.

You also need to know when you are TXing and RXing to protect the RX front end, OK if it's radar but not so much for random time of arrival comms.

The circulator is the approach for true bidirectional full duplex, switches front ends are for time-division multiplexing architecture.
Thanks, I have SDR (Software defined radio), I do not expect random time arrivals signals, I expect to dictate when to transmit and receive, my main concern is 22dB isolation of that switch. Is that enough for application which needs sensitive sensing?

I have tested PIN diodes in Iridium TxRx up to 6 GHz.

In CATV experiments I found hybrid directional couplers have interesting properties when the Rx side is shorted the Tx port loss is <0.5 dB instead of 3.5 and visa versa also acting as a Duplexer.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back