Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best brushed DC motor driver?

AMintegia

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am looking for the best driver to control a 3V Brushed DC motor, maximum current in stall is about 100mA.

- The motor should have current control on the motor, being able to cut the power supply when it exceeds a previously configured limit.
- It must be able to control the motor in both directions. Selected using two switches.
- System powered by 3.7V battery. Battery charging could be managed by an external module.

I would appreciate any suggestion.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Asking for "the best" without giving the informatin "in which regard" is useless.

Examples:
* What is the best shoe?
* What is the best dish?
* What is the best partner?
--> You will always get very different (and thus many of them will be useless for you) answers .. simply because ... it depends...

Klaus

Hi,

Asking for "the best" without giving the informatin "in which regard" is useless.

Examples:
* What is the best shoe?
* What is the best dish?
* What is the best partner?
--> You will always get very different (and thus many of them will be useless for you) answers .. simply because ... it depends...

Klaus
Thanks for your comment. It is obvious there is not always the best but any suggestion is welcome and can be analyzed. Which one is yours?

Hi,
Thanks for your comment. It is obvious there is not always the best but any suggestion is welcome and can be analyzed. Which one is yours?
I´d use some selection tools. But with no detailed input informations .. it´s impossible to get good result.
We have: 3.7V (nominal) battery, 3V/100mA max motor., two directions, ..
The "Power supply cutting" could be made with a fuse or PTC / polyfuse in simplest case.

Klaus

Seems like you want a basic 5V (if UVLO works w/ 3.7V battery)
current mode control POL DC-DC. One where you can get at
all the error amp pins to make it a follower for voltage, and a
user settable current limit.

For direction, a DPDT relay?

Lots of such POL parts out there now.

Best. ?
Fixed LDO Voltage regulator?
Variable speed control?
Simple speed controller?
Simple torque controller?
Best direction control switch with centre off?
Best off the shelf motor controller for 3V
Best bang for the buck?

Pick only one and send purchase order to alibaba.

Since your power needs are small I believe resistive drop is suitable (through transistors). Current control is applied to the motor via a single potentiometer, either biasing the NPN or the PNP. You have a midway region where the motor itself receives no power. Although there is no On-Off-Direction switch, very little mA is wasted. You can add resistors in strategic locations if you wish to do fine adjustments.

The advantage is to use two batteries. Since you state you can do external charging, perhaps it's not a hardship to charge one battery?
--- Updated ---

Schematic :
--- Updated ---

Second try to post my schematic:
Pos n Neg supply to load via two 4v cells NPN PNP.png

Last edited:
Since your power needs are small I believe resistive drop is suitable (through transistors). Current control is applied to the motor via a single potentiometer, either biasing the NPN or the PNP. You have a midway region where the motor itself receives no power. Although there is no On-Off-Direction switch, very little mA is wasted. You can add resistors in strategic locations if you wish to do fine adjustments.

The advantage is to use two batteries. Since you state you can do external charging, perhaps it's not a hardship to charge one battery?
--- Updated ---

Schematic :
--- Updated ---

Second try to post my schematic:
View attachment 192465
Thank you for your time and response, Brad.

It looks like an interesting circuit, we will keep it in mind.

Regards.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back