Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BenQ M23 connection problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

andisa

Newbie level 2
Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I’m trying to connect to a BenQ GSM/GPRS wireless module through hypertherminal but so far i haven’t succeeded.

I’ve just connected the necessary signals (Tx, Rx, SIM card and POWON), power and ground. No more, no less. (yes, I have a level converter for the serial communication between the PC and the module :)
I can communicate for approximately 3 seconds after the power is applied and the POWON is driven low for a few hundred milliseconds. It’s enough for me to write AT and to get the expected response of OK.
Nothing happens when I’m trying to send more characters after the 3 second window is up. Feels like it’s going into a deep sleep mode that I just can’t get it out of.

I’ve noticed that a few people on this forum have experience of the BenQ GSM modules and I was hoping that someone could give me a hint as to what might be my problem. Tried to search the web already but without any luck.

Thanks

/Dre

I’ve narrowed the problem down a little bit.
The module works just fine if I remove the antenna so that there can be no communication going on. The communication with the SIM card appears to be working just fine too.
An at+creg? will then of cause return +CREG: 0, 3

Judging by the power usage I would say that it looks like the module is trying to connect to the network but fails in some way. The power usage goes up to about 100mA for a few seconds and then down to about 10mA again. It keeps doing this with an interval of about 10 seconds. It also sends out a few bogus characters between each cycle. I might even get in a
AT
OK
between the cycles.

Yes, the SIM card is working just fine in a normal cell phone.

No takers?? I’m desperate for some help here.

/Dre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back