Not open for further replies.

innovation1

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
AN INDUCTOR

HI.......... A CAPACITOR PASSES AC N BLOCKS DC..... SAME WAY OR ANY OTHER WAY WHT DOES AN INDUCTOR DO??????????????

Re: AN INDUCTOR

The inductor passes DC and blocks AC if its value is high enough.

innovation1 said:
HI.......... A CAPACITOR PASSES AC N BLOCKS DC..... SAME WAY OR ANY OTHER WAY WHT DOES AN INDUCTOR DO??????????????
The inductor resistance is X = w * L, where w - angular frequency (rad/s) and L - inductance (H).

haker_fox said:
The inductor resistance is X = w * L.

The reactance not resistance!
Impedance is an complex number Z where:

Z=R+jX

R - resistance
X - reactance

it stores energy for a longer period of time created by passing electric current through the inductor........

inductor stores energy..... so can it be used as a source to drive a circuit....

innovation1,
The difference can be explained from the fundamental equations.
For an inductor, v = Ldi/dt, Where V is the voltage across the inductior, L is the inductance, di/dt is the rate of change of current thru the inductor. For high frequencies, di/dt is a high value, therefore the voltage across the inductor is high. For DC, di/dt is zero, therefore the voltage across the inductor is zero.
For a capacitor, i = C dv/dt, where i is the current thru the capacitor, C is the capacitance, dv/dt is the rate of change of voltage across the capacitor. For DC, dv/dt is zero. Therefore the current through the capacitor is zero.
Regards,
Kral

innovation1

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

I just did want to explain how AC passes through the inductor. Of course I had to write "reactance". It's my mistake. Sorry!

For C:
X=1/W*C
W-->Angular Frequency
Where W=2*Pi*f*C
Condition (1)When we are applying AC
then for AC f=50Hz(india)
i.e.there will be some reactance
so Capacitor will pass the AC.
Condition(2)When we are applying DC
then for DC f=0(zero)
so the X will become infinite that's why due to so much high reactance the current will not flow through the CAPACITOR.
It means that CAPACITOR will block the DC Current.

For L:
X=W*L
W-Angular frequency
where W=2*Pi*f*L
condition(1)When we apply DC to the inductor
then for AC f=0Hz
so the reactance will become zero that's why inductor will provide a smooth path to the DC Current.
Condition(2)When we are applying AC
then for AC f=50Hz(india)
i.e.there is reactance which will be more than the reactance(incase of DC).
So Inductor can't pass the AC Current.

It's the main basic for L & C.

Status
Not open for further replies.