Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Basic MOSFET switch design

Status
Not open for further replies.

skywalker898

Member level 1
Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
MOSFET_switch.jpg Hi, I would like to use a use the +5V digital output of an arduino to control a MOSFET switch, that simply has a +20V DC power supply attached to the drain in series with a 2k ohm load; the source is grounded. I have never used a MOSFET as a switch, so I am wondering if the circuit diagram I have uploaded will work **broken link removed**, and what parameters on a MOSFET datasheet I should be concerned about to make sure this works. If the circuit will work, does anyone know of any standard MOSFETs that I could use to build this?

Thanks,
Brandon

Dear Brandon
Hi
If your command signal is 5 volt , you can use the mosfets that called logic level series . but i suggest you to increase it's voltage with a simple ICL7667 , and then give it to uyour usual mosfet ( with 15 volt will be on ) . and another advantage of my suggestion is that , if your frequency , is a bit high , your mosfet will need some currents for gate capacitor , thus ICL7667 can support it simply , because of totem pole out put .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

---------- Post added at 23:32 ---------- Previous post was at 23:31 ----------

BTW : you'd better to use a 47 k ohms resistor in parallel with GS junction.

Thanks goldsmith. I have a couple questions. For the 47k resistor at the GS junction, I believe this is used to drain any charge from the MOSFET after it is turned off. Is there any reason in particular you said a 47k resistor, or will just about any resistor work?

Also, I am confused about what voltage is necessary to saturate a given MOSFET. In general, how much higher than Vgs does the voltage need to be in order to saturate (fully turn on) a MOSFET? For example, I am looking at the logic level MOSFET FDP7030BL with a typical Vgs of 1.9V. Would the 5V output from my arduino fully turn on this MOSFET? See link for MOSFET: https://www.newark.com/fairchild-semiconductor/fdp7030bl/n-channel-mosfet-30v-60a-to-220/dp/38C7149?Ntt=FDP7030BL

Thanks,
Brandon

Again Hi
At first , about the reason of that resistor :
As we know , when the GS junction capacitor charged , the impedance of gate is infinite ( approx) , thus it can't become discharge ! and it will be dangerous . that resistor can discharge it . and it's value is depends on the value of Ciss and your time .
and you can test this behavior . take a mosfet , and give a voltage across it's GS junction and then , you'll see , it's DS is turn on , and if you remove that voltage , you'll see still DS is on ! but if you touch it , it will turn off ! test it , please , it will be lovely effect that you can use it on your projects!
And about saturation , i think this name is wrong ( in opposition to the BJT ) , you can say , it is on , simply !
And the reason of +15 volt for usual mosfets or +5 volts for logic level mosfets :
As we know , if you , give the voltage more than threshold voltage , your mosfet will start conduction . but not totally ! it means if you don't get it +15 for usual mosfets or +5 for logic level mosfets , your mosfet will be at linear region , and it means dissipation ! and heating ! and i don't think , that you like it !
Good luck
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back