Baking a electronic Component

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I ordered a SMD Component in TQFP package and I received it today. It is a moister sensitive device. The package tells that I have to bake the device @ +125 deg C for 48 hours before soldering to PCB. I am using that device for a prototype and I am going to use Hot air soldering and not wave soldering. So How to bake the component and for what time and temperature. can I solder the component to PCB without baking? I don't have a baking oven. can I back the device opened from the package using microwave oven?

This is not smart.

Hi,

Using a Microwave, I would say no, surely it would just destroy the device.

What is the device code ? would be interested to see its datasheet, does baking it make so much difference ?

Find it hard to see any end user wanting to bake a batch of components for 2 days before being able to assemble their circuit boards, I would be looking for a different device to use straight out of the can.

For PROTOTYPING I wouldn't worry about it but for reliability in a production run it is necessary.

Moisture trapped in the device, mainly between the lead frame and plastic can casue steam bubbles when a 'damp' device meets the sudden heat of a soldering process. These *may* cause stress inside the device or in extreme cases explode it. The idea of baking is to slowly allow moisture to escape to lessen the chance of damage. Even if baked, you should be quick to solder the parts, if you leave them too long they will need re-baking.

I would not recommend microwaving them, at least not for more than a millisecond or so :shock:

Brian.

Why it doesn't explode during baking?

So, for prototyping I can use hot air soldering without baking? I will remove the component from sealed pack just before soldering. Will it be ok?

Last edited:

It's to do with the temperature and how long it takes to rise and fall. In a soldering situation, either using IR, wave or immersion, the temperature rises very rapidly (check manufacturers graphs) compared to slow baking and a bake is usually done at much lower temperature than soldering anyway. I have soldered literally millions of ICs and never witnessed a baked component giving trouble. I have seen PCBs buckle and inflate and delaminate when soldering because of trapped mosture so I would recommend baking boards before assembly too.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.