Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Bad S11 and S22 after impedance matching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murazan

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
First of all I am new in designing RF circuits from scratch, and also new in using ADS program. I have been tasked to make an LNA and thus followed this video and this video to learn it step by step. I'm using the same transistors, same technique, etc. with the main difference is my working frequency is 960-1215MHz. I have managed to built the schematic up to doing impedance matching. But in this step, I am very confused because my LNA constantly getting poor S11 and S22 performance. And if I try to improve one, the other will have worse performance. I have attached the schematics. Any suggestion and recommendation are welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot (1323).png
    Screenshot (1323).png
    199.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot (1320).png
    Screenshot (1320).png
    214.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot (1321).png
    Screenshot (1321).png
    190.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot (1322).png
    Screenshot (1322).png
    162.5 KB · Views: 70

Refer to "Simultaneous Matching" in textbooks.If your goal is to obtain Minimum Noise Figure, S11 or S22 maybe both can be bad, it's not surprizing.
All depends on you target.

Refer to "Simultaneous Matching" in textbooks.If your goal is to obtain Minimum Noise Figure, S11 or S22 maybe both can be bad, it's not surprizing.
All depends on you
My target is to have a compromise between good noise figure and a good return loss. So far the noise figure side is quite acceptable (less than 1.5db over the bandwidth) and quite good S22 (< -10dB) but the caveat is very poor S11. I have tried to improve S11 to an acceptable level (around -10db just as benchmark) but this is hurting the S22 performance as well.

Draw Noise Circles and Compare them with S11 and S22. Then find a compromise Point that will give you an Acceptable Noise Figure and good Reflection Losses.

Draw Noise Circles and Compare them with S11 and S22. Then find a compromise Point that will give you an Acceptable Noise Figure and good Reflection Losses.
Okay, thank you. Turn out the problem is with the circuit itself. The problem have been solved. thank you for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back