Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Astable multivibrator using 555 vs transistors

ay215

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If I'm not mistaken, an astable multivibrator can be built with a 555 ic, or using transistors, capacitors, and resistors. I was wondering if there are any advantages or disadvantages of using one approach over the other? Like cost or effectiveness? Thanks.

My observation is that 555 output is designed to make rapid square-ish transitions. It must be a chief factor letting it oscillate near 1/2 MHz or faster. I believe the design of logic IC's is similar: High gain snap-action, good at pulse generating.

The classic astable multivibratpr is not quite so square-ish. However it does give you two alternating clocks, each one's phase inverted from the other. This can be convenient for certain uses.

If the 555 astable meets your output design requirements, then it is likely the cheaper, simpler choice.
If not, then you can design one using discrete devices, or logic gates, which would likely be a more complex circuit.

A 555 will work on dirty cig lighter power all by itself, a transistor bodge likewise unless you pick something too fancy. CD4000 has two subfamilies and one rates at 18V but that's weak for automotive IGN power quality.

You can also make a real sloppy astable with a single Schmitt inverter, or less sloppy with a comparator inverting signal with positive feedback.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back