Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Another step up circuit request:

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkace

Full Member level 6
Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
If someone follows my posts, he will find out that I have several posts on steping up from 5V to 350V etc.
Now I have this urgent problem:
Suppose I have DC current of 5V. I want to step up to 5000V and 4mA.
Can someone give specific instractions, step-by-step ( I mean ICs, design considerations etc) how to go from dc to AC, then transform it to 5000V and make it 4mA?
Thanks,
D.

First stage will be a square wave generator. It can be based on 555 IC. As you need 20W (5000V * 4mA) of power it will be unable to drive next stage by itself.
So you need a transistor (can be BLT or FET) to drive a HV transformer which will convert 5V square wave on primary to 5000 on secondary. Here you can use an off-the shelf TV HV transformer.
The 555 generator's frequency has to be somewhere around 15kHz ..

dkace

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks IanP, your post was very helpfull.
I have another question now. You suggest a 555 for the waveform. I agree that this is the easiest selection of a squarewave generator. Now, if I want minimum frequency drift I think that 555 is not so good, as it dependend on the external RC circuitry witch has a 5 to 10% tolerance.
In a previous post
(h**p://&highlight=)
I was asking if that circuit could work as an astable multivibrator instead of a 555. In fact it is a circuit I copied from a real board and it is actually working- I could never make it work in simulation.
My question is : Instead of using the 555 ( which I may finally do ) Is it possible to use a schmidt trigger and have reliable results at the end?
D.

You can use an opamp in Schmidt-trigger configuration (**broken link removed**) or single Schmidt-Trigger gate with a resistor between output and input and a capacitor between input and 0V. Both options will generate a square wave but the easiest is still 555 ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back