Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC signal to DC control

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregfox151

Newbie level 3
Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
:-|
Hello all,
I’ve been working on a problem for a few days now, and had little success.
I have a timer with 3-24VAC output signals.
I need to send each signal to a 5VDC XOR gate.
What I did was to send each signal to full wave bridge rectifier (with load resistor-3.9K and 10Uf cap) and then to a 5V regulator and everything worked just fine.
The problem arose when I connected the grounds of each of the 3 rectifier circuits together. The scope shows an AC signal on the DC output, when the (AC)timer is off (BAD!), and 5VDC when the (AC) timer is on (GOOD!).
I would like to know if anyone could either suggest a better way to do this, or suggest a solution how to filter the unwanted AC.
Many thanks.

Safest way is to use optoisolators between 24Vac rectifier circuits and 5Vdc circuit
remember that 24Vac is 36Vp and 72 Vpp

24Vac_5Vdc_isol..jpg

24Vac_5Vdc_isol.02.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks, it worked...
Another question, I'm using an IL755 opti, and put AC to pin 1 via 330 ohm resistor, and the other AC leg to pint 2. I connected VCC (5VDC) to pin 5 via 1K ohm, and grounded pin 4.
Unfortunately I do not get a output voltage. Can anyone help?

The led inside the optocoupler may have burned, if the 24 VAC had only a 330 ohm to limit current.

At each peak that's 109 mA through the led. Even if you average it, it still comes out to 36mA over a cycle. That's likely to cripple the led. Typical safe current is under 20 mA.

Additionally the led has a reverse voltage rating. The negative cycle of 24 VAC exposed it to 34V peak. This is greater than the typical led reverse V rating. So on that account it probably is damaged as well.

Yor are right, don't know what I was thinking....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back