Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A switch selectable timer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanagonvw

Newbie level 1
Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working to come up with a ckt that can give me an accurate, timed pulse up to five minutes in duration. It will have to allow a dipswitch to choose between one, two, three, four, and five minutes.

It is my impression that five minutes is a pretty long time to ask a one shot like a 4538 or a 123 type of device to be stable and repeatable, so I am seeking any clever ways others may have come up with to accomplish this.

I don't think the venerable 555 is up to that task either, based on leakage and stability as I understand it.

I cannot use a controller due to the cost, so I am holding out hope for a ckt idea that will point me in the right direction.

How accurate is probably going to be a function of cost, and is hard to quantify, so I am holding out for the very best I can get, using logic parts, and not a micro of any kind.

Much obliged for any advice or suggestions.

Thanks,

John

The ICM7240 might be suitable, as far as functionallity goes. Whether it is
accurate enough I leave for you to decide.

**broken link removed**

/Rambo

First of all, "accurate" is a relative term. If you could put a number on it, it would be great.
I think the CMOS version of the 555 should be able to do the trick. I would breadboard it, instead of rejecting it beforehand.

If that is not accurate enough, how about having the 555 run as an astable and divide the frequency with a counter, maybe a dual one? That way the period of the 555 only needs to be a maximum of 30s, which is pretty decent.

And, although you said "no controller", I will mention a PIC12x5xx (or maybe the latest 10Fxx series), using the internal RC oscillator. I think you can get better than 5% accuracy over -40°C to +85°C. One pin will be output and three others connected to your DIP switches. Takes up less board space, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back