Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

7805 switched mode replacement

Pha5e

Advanced Member level 4
Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am currently looking at using a 7805 switched-mode replacement module to use instead of a traditional 7805 linear regulator.

To meet EMC, a PI filter is recommended on the input.

How do I calculate the appropriate component values to filter out the conducted switching noise?

With ~1uH feed to input or equivalent in TP or UTP cable you can expect low emanation if you have a spec for rated back current.

For a system level EMC the use of DCDC converters depends a lot on too many system factors to guarantee. But attention to each can attenuate risk of egress from this low power regulator. Factors may include;
  • The switched current frequency. e.g. 500 kHz
  • The supplier quality e.g. OKI Murata have over 20 yrs experience on this design. https://www.murata.com/products/productdata/8807037992990/oki-78sr.pdf
  • System wire shielding of DC+ GND,
  • The source RLC characteristics of the path may have complex resonance gain between source and input C, ESR. It may be reduced with added R or L and synthesized to compare with test results
  • The dynamic nature, if any of the load may impact quasi-peak results slightly.
  1. Twisted pair (UTP) or STP wire is what I recommend to reduce EMI or proper layout on PCB.
  2. Use a DCDC converter with a rated ripple input current.
OKI-Murata spec is ; https://www.murata.com/products/productdata/8807037992990/oki-78sr.pdf
Reflected (back) ripple current ② (Cin = 2 X 100uF, CBus = 1000uF, LBus = 1uH)
50 mA, pk-pk

If f = 0.5 MHz and V=LdI/dt then Vmin is 1uH * 0.05A / 1us = 0.05 V.

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: