3 Phase motor operation with only 2 phase. Is any risk ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gills

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, everybody.

I m new here & I don't know if this is wrong place for putting my query. so sorry if this is.
Actualy I want to know if there is any adverse effect to three phase motor with operating in the presence of only 2 phases & 3rd one is created by splitting the one healthy phase with capacitors. this is common practice of farmers. They operate 3 phase submursible motor even in the abscence of 1 phase.
Please clear, if any harm for motor with this operation.
If any other proper method is available, please suggest.

in 1-to-3 phase [passive] conversion with caps motor is not 'harmed' but will operate at somewhere below 80% of the normal 3-phase power ..

as you said, it is pretty common practice, and here are more details on this issue:

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

however, much better option is to use a proper ac drive, which is basically single-phase-to-three-phase inverter, and you can get them from, for example, ABB:

**broken link removed**

these drives offer soft start, variable speed etc etc and are also manufactured by siemens, telemechanique, sunshine el, and 101 more companies around the world ..

rgds,
ianp

gills

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Very Very thanks Mr. IanP for clearence.

gills

3 phase motor run in 2 phase it is possible to no risk only you are putting VFD (AC drive) for motor control
if you are connect motor direct to 3 phase it run only 2 phase it may be very risk for motor and it will taken more current and motor jurk
so do not connect motor with out drive in 2 phase
if you have any doubt please mail me my mail id muruganshanjai@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.